Skip to content
Select Page

Sherman Connecticut
The scenic Town of Sherman, incorporated in Oct. 1802, is located in the Housatonic Valley at the northern end of Candlewood Lake. We are a rural community of 23.4 square miles with a population, est., 4,110. Sherman is the northern most town in Fairfield County, accessed by State Routes 39, 37 and 55. It is located within commuting distance to both New York City and Hartford.

In the early 1920’s, the old church on the Sherman Center Knoll, which was originally built in 1837, was restored, and became the home of the Sherman Players. Since then, continual improvements to the property have enabled the Players to provide a steady stream of plays, workshops, film series, travelogues and concerts to the community. The Town of Sherman owns the Playhouse, but the Sherman Players maintain the building and continue to promote theatrical entertainment.

The Sherman Library, built in 1926, grew from a membership of 46 families, to an association that circulates more than 40,000 items each year. The library offers children’s programs, as well as adult book discussions, and monthly exhibitions of works by local artists.

Sherman is also home to several fine restaurants, The Sherman Historical Society and a quaint hardware store.

Sherman has an excellent K-8 School and our High School students have a choice of four area schools to attend. Sherman is the northernmost and least populous town of Fairfield County. The population was 3,827 at the 2000 census. The town is named for New Haven’s founding father, Roger Sherman. Sherman has been named “Best Small Town in Connecticut, three times by Connecticut Magazine. The Appalachian Trail goes through the northern end of Sherman. Part of Squantz Pond State Park is in this town.

Sherman has one area on the National Register of Historic Places: The Sherman Historic District, bounded roughly by the intersection of Old Greenswood Road and Route 37, northeast past the intersection of Route 37 East and Route 39, North and Sawmill Road. The district was added to the National Register on August 31, 1991.

Join Us and Share the Love Online
error