Peaceful rural community in the heart of Fairfield county. In the early 1700s, Redding was home to an Indian village whose leader, was named Chickens Warrups. In 1714, john Read, the first white man to settle in Redding claimed 500 acres to set up a homestead for his family. Redding was incorporate, having less than 1,000 inhabitants. The Mark Twain Library was founded by Samuel Clemens & named after mark Twain, one of Redding’s more famous residents. The majority of Redding is residential, with a minimal amount of commercial activity.
Putnam Memorial Park, a winter encampment for soldiers during the Revolutionary War. Huntington State Park offers hiking, biking and cross-country skiing. The park was home to Pootatuck Indian Chief Chickens Warrups in the 1700s. Highstead Arboretum, a hidden 50-acre plus treasure maintained for the purpose of study, research and education. The little red brick schoolhouse on Umpawaug Road is the Umpawaug School, built in 1789 and is one of the few brick schoolhouses in Connecticut still standing. The Redding Land Trust was incorporated in 1956 and is a non-profit organization holding 1,150 acres in open space land gifts and easements in town. The Trust also maintains several preserves in town.
The park & Recreation department is dedicated to providing recreational activities for both adults & children. Bringing people together for activities, entertainment & education is one of the main functions of the department. There are summer camps, swimming at Topstone Park, concerts on “The Green”, tennis courts, hiking, cross-country skiing, fishing, community gardens & an Extended Day after school program.
Daily commuter train service to Grand Central Station, New York City. Average train time is 91 minutes. Access to Merritt Parkway (I15) and Interstate 95. Driving time to New York City is 95 minutes; t White Plains, New York is 45 minutes.
Reading. At the time of incorporation, in 1767, a meeting was held, at which it was voted that the name of the new town should be Reading has been crossed out and that of Redding substituted, would seem to point to some action on the part of the town. However no entry of any such action appears in the town records.
In the early 1700s, Redding, Connecticut, was home to an Indian village whose leader was named Chickens Warrups. In 1714, John Read, the first white man to settle in Redding (which was then part of Fairfield), claimed 500 acres to set up a homestead for his wife and children. Lonetown Manor, as Read’s home was called, soon became the center of a busy and populous farm settlement, and a number of mills and other enterprises associated with farmer’s needs soon took root.