Established in 1795, Carmel has embodied a wealth of history and community along the southern boarder of the Putnam County. With a population of 34,000, it is best known for it’s historic courthouse and high school.
The town was settled around 1740 by George Hughson and now includes Carmel Hills, Hopkins Corners, Secor Corners, Tilly Foster, Mahopac, and West Mahopac. It holds many beautiful parks and lakes, and it’s only 10 miles from the closest railway.
Colonel Henry Ludington, who had fought in the French and Indian War, volunteered to head about 400 local militia during the American Revolution. On the night of April 26, 1777, after learning that the British had begun burning nearby Danbury, Connecticut, sixteen-year-old Sybil Ludington rode her horse, Star, the entire night through the hamlets of Carmel, Mahopac, Kent Cliffs, and Farmers Mills, warning her father’s troops, and others along the way, that the British were coming. Because of Sybil’s warning, the British burned several buildings and houses, but did not kill many.
Unlike accounts of the rides of Paul Revere and William Dawes, little was told of Sybil Ludington’s ride for personal reasons; the only record of this event was written by her great grandson. A statue memorializing this local revolutionary sits alongside Lake Gleneida.
Carmel was established by splitting from the town of Frederickstown in 1795. Patterson also split from Frederickstown the same year, and the remnant of Frederickstown became known as Kent. Carmel was designated the county seat in 1812. In 1861, a small part of Carmel was taken to be added to the town of Putnam Valley.