Amenia is a town located in Dutchess County, with a population of about 5,000. The town is located on the eastern border of the county, and is known for it’s historic location.
Amenia is one of the original towns formed by act of March 7, 1788. It comprises the width of the Oblong Tract, and the east tier of lots in the Great Nine Partners Patent.
The first known inhabitants of the area were members of the Pequot people, who had a village in the northeast part of the town on the west side of Indian Pond called Wechquadnach. The Scatacooks from Connecticut were accustomed to hold pow wows in South Amenia. The house of worship known as the “Red Meeting House” was built in 1758, and stood about a mile northeast of the village of Amenia. George Whitefield preached there in the summer of 1770. The Precinct of Amenia was established by act of the colonial legislature in 1762.